Thursday, August 9, 2012

Breakfast Smoothie

Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, but with today's busy lifestyles it's often the first to go. The time to cook a wholesome breakfast, then to sit and eat it can be difficult to schedule. While on the journey to better nutrition, I have managed to move beyond the grab a cup of coffee and run out the door style that served me for years, I have difficulty thinking about eating solid food first thing in the morning. Personally, I have found that smoothies provide a healthful breakfast option that's tasty, portable, and easy on the stomach. Also, while I have enjoyed a cup of coffee every morning for probably three decades, since learning that coffee intake can interfere with serotonin production, I have cut back on the coffee. A well-balanced morning meal blended into a smoothie can provide enough fuel to keep me going until noon without any cravings for snacks or caffeine.

What goes into my breakfast smoothie? In our kitchen, smoothie-making is akin to soup-making: whatever is handy goes into the recipe. Of late, kefir is the base liquid; our kefir is homemade using our fresh, raw goat milk from the farm. The drink pictured was blended almost a month ago, but to the best of my recollection the recipe included the following ingredients:

     * Kefir, made with raw, organic goat milk
     * Garden tomatoes, organic
     * Cocoa, raw, organic powder (from Optimally Organic)
     * Blueberries, frozen
     * Strawberries, frozen
     * Peaches, fresh, local
     * Garden cucumber
     * Garden mint
     * Action Whey (TM) --This is the ingredient
     * Nuts--either walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts
 
Possibly that smoothie included a palm-full of chia seed; I don't use it every day because it's stored on a high shelf and I do not always feel like climbing up to reach supplies stored up there. The same goes for various powdered super foods from Optimally Organic; usually I like to add maca root powder to smoothies.

A two-quart blender mixes up a smoothie big enough to drink a glass before leaving the house, then I bring along the balance in a plastic juice bottle. This allows me to pour out smoothie into my cup and sip throughout the morning. I love the taste of chocolate mint smoothies!

No comments:

Post a Comment