Monday, August 27, 2012

Watermelon Refresher

Watermelon refreshment.
Watermelon Refresher

  • 2 cups seeded watermelon
  • 1 small tomato
  • 1 small beet
  • 1/4 cup fresh coconut
  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 1 scoop sport drink base
Blend the ingredients in a strong blender. (If your blender won't emulsify the seeds, you may want to remove the watermelon seeds and chew them thoroughly to get the nutritional benefits--amino acids, B vitamins, minerals, protein, fats.)

Yield:  1 1/2 quarts.

Are you interested in the story behind the drink? Here it is.

Today we enjoyed another gloriously warm, sunny afternoon with thickly humid air. Per usual, after moving a few sections of fencing, cutting a cartload of brush and grasses for fodder, and bouncing the dog living in lockup for ignoring the boundaries I set, I was soaked. Ladies perspire; I sweat, copiously. Obviously, hydration was in order.

With the animals put to bed, I gladly buried my head in the refrigerator. Success! There sat the bulk of a seeded watermelon, the perfect base for a sweet, refreshing, hydrating drink. Watermelon, water, and the sports drink base were all that were necessary; however, I cannot resist adding whatever extras I can find available.

This is the first time that I have  blended, and likely the last that I will blend, the sports drink into a fruit drink. Although it provided the electrolytes my body needed, it did little for the "natural" flavor of the watermelon refresher. On the other hand, the coconut gave the drink a milky fullness that the fruits and vegetables could not have given it on their own.

Every drink is a unique experience. Every mistake is a lesson. Today I learned that while hydration is important, my palate prefers separating the natural flavors from those of the processed drink mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment